eBay is the ultimate marketplace. Originally designed for consumer-to-consumer buying and selling, primarily of used goods through an auction format, it has now evolved to cater to businesses selling new products at fixed prices. Selling on eBay can be a must for companies operating in specific categories where eBay remains the unrivaled leader.
How to Start Selling on eBay
The nature of "community" that distinguishes eBay, makes access to all sellers quite simple. Each new account has limitations in terms of the number of products loaded and the economic value of the inventory, but with the increase in sales, the limits are gradually removed.
On eBay there are these sales configurations:
- direct sales. In order to operate with your own identity, you have these options available:
- personal account: these are mostly accounts aimed at those who sell as a hobby. It is a method that we exclude for our customers.
- professional account: consists of specifying the VAT number to which the account in question refers
- professional account with a shop: this is an option for each professional account and which gives access to a series of specific services and rates.
Naturally you will be followed by our work group in order to land on eBay with the appropriate precautions and according to a professional approach.
- indirect sales. In this mode your tax identity is lost, since our accounts are used to host your goods. The tax and legal burdens of each transaction are ours and you can focus on the quality of the products you make.
Identikit of the ideal seller for eBay
eBay has essentially lost its nature as a market in which to find second-hand or unobtainable used items. The products available today are predominantly new and with a fixed price: eBay has oriented itself towards an increasingly professional approach.
With this in mind, and as a choice of field, we only take charge of corporate realities and let private individuals or hobbyists equip themselves differently.
The rules impose strict performances on sellers, under penalty of downgrading the account up to suspension.
The markets of choice for the eBay universe are:
- auto and motorcycle spare parts
- Home & Garden
as well as a vast opportunity to participate in other categories.
Internationalization on eBay takes place in two different ways.
The first by publishing the products on the single country. In this case you will need the content translated into the relevant languages to publish on one or more of eBay's 36 international sites. The benefits in terms of visibility are obvious.
The second by publishing the items on eBay Italy and specifying that the product can also be shipped abroad. In this case it will be sufficient to specify the price for the shipment.
Whichever method you decide to opt for, the opportunities for internationalization are truly exceptional on eBay, particularly for those made in Italy products that are so desired abroad.
The resulting taxation also depends on the geographical location where you decide to store the goods.
For more information, read our blog post here.
Payments and logistics
Payment on eBay follows a logic which, starting from 2021, is the one common to all marketplaces.
eBay has in fact introduced the Payment Services or a new function that goes beyond payment with Paypal, so dear to sellers, and which requires that the transaction takes place between the platform and the buyer .
Only then does the transfer of funds from eBay to the seller take place, net of sales commissions.
This Copernican revolution for eBay is the confirmation of the orientation towards a professional approach started and pursued constantly years ago.
About logistics eBay works with a network of third party suppliers who can be made available to the seller.
The network of warehouses, services and integration with information systems is still expanding, which is why they represent more of an exception than a rule for the usual seller.
How much does it cost to sell on eBay
Selling on eBay includes two cost items for the merchant who works professionally:
- the fixed rate for the shop. There are 3 shops, differentiated by the number of products that can be published: Basic, Premium and Advanced Shop with a value of €19.50, €39.50 and €149.50 respectively.
- the final value fee rate. It represents the most important value, because it is the cut that eBay keeps on every sale you make. As in most other cases, eBay charges a value that depends on the product category.
“For over 8 years I have been helping sellers form different product categories, company sizes and with even specific needs. I am happy when I help organizations to achieve the goals we setted up.”
Start selling on eBay
Fill out the form to be contacted by one of our eCommerce Managers and discover the opportunities of selling on eBay.